Labels

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Post Surgery Update


Christmas tree at the end of our hourly walk around the hospital
Hello readers!
I hope you had a wonderful holiday. Sorry for the break in writing but I have been recovering from a hard surgery that I had right before Christmas. I have spent a lot of time thinking about what to talk to you about. Sometimes the only take away that I want to share is that this sucks and that you should never have a surgery over Christmas, even if it's free! Ha ha this surgery has left me in a beaten pulp, however, I am finally starting to see why I had it done.
I was born with a weak esophagus. The openly to my stomach was always huge and my stomach has been riding up and eating away everything for a long time. We had considered surgery years ago when I was young but no one wanted to put me through the troubles that come with having the surgery. Finally this year when I started choking on my up coming food and my teeth were falling apart all my doctors agreed that it was time to put an end to the re-fluxing before it does more damage. The surgery is done through a scope and they wrap the stomach around itself to create a smaller opening. When they saw mine it was much worse than expected so the also put in a mesh made of pig cells. About a day before the surgery I also got back more results that led to them taking out my gall bladder. Apparently it was chronically inflamed and probably has had lots of gall stones.
The surgery went really well. They said my gall bladder looked really scary but also said I have the most beautiful anatomy. Ha ha I have to laugh because normally doctors just find things wrong with my body but this time they bragged to the office about the beautiful nissen they got to do.
After the surgery I had to re-learn to swallow and the pressures in my stomach had to adjust. It doesn't sound too bad but it was incredibly uncomfortable. I was having a hard time so I ended up staying 2 extra days in the hospital. Things have slowly gotten better. Last week I figured out that I was allergic to the pain meds which then caused me to throw up a whole bunch. Ha ha really a no no for this surgery. I am slowly making my way up to soft foods and a semi normal diet. I had my post op check up today with the amazing Dr. Lewis and he says everything looks good. I may be getting another hernia from throwing up and laughing but as long as I hold it in and have a good few weeks it should heal. Everyone pray that I don't have to get another hernia surgery from my hernia surgery. 😅
Slowly I am feeling normal again and have hope. The first week and a half I considered going to the surgeon and asking him to un-do it. Ha ha I now can say that I am happy I got it done. I never thought I would have the type of problems that are fixed with surgery. Looking back now I realize that every surgery I have had is to fix some sort of defect...except for my knee surgery. I am grateful for good surgeons and their ability to improve my life. It's hard to believe with a disease like mine that positive things can happen with my health. I am blessed to have a clinic that cares about me and literally has helped with every aspect. Nurses and doctors that treat me with respect and compassion.
Thank you for all your support! I appreciate the texts and the prayers and concern. My family and friends who stayed with me and made Christmas work for me. Especially my husband Nathan has been a champ! He slept on a tiny arm chair the whole stay in the hospital. He is my hero! Seriously you guys I am one lucky lady. I hope you all had a better holiday than I did. Happy New Year!
Love,
Ellen



Pre-surgery hangout
Walking around to get the stomach moving

I know...You must be jealous of my dress😜


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig