Labels

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Clinic Visit

Last week I had my clinic visit with Dr. Bateman. I love the clinic! It took me about two years to get in and months of Dr. Bateman reading my files before they figured out my diagnoses. I am very grateful to them.
They are located at Salt Lake Regional Hospital. They used to be on the west side but now the have moved their clinic. Inside the clinic they also have a research department where sometimes I get tested. They always need regular people to test so if you want to make $50 for a blood draw then head on over. 


When I go in I talk to the receptionist Debbie. She is really nice. Basically everyone there knows me by name, which is awesome. Everyone is kind and understands better than most people how tough my life can be. Debbie checks me in and usually I sit in their "special chair" and read magazines. I know it's stupid but I love People magazine. 

      

I get taken back pretty quick by one of the nurses. I used to always see Kim(the awesome nurse) but now I have a new nurse who is also awesome. The nurses at the clinic are the best! They are so sympathetic. I don't get that everywhere I go. Sometimes since my disease and symptoms are abnormal I don't always get understanding from the nurses. Trisha has been my nurse as of late and she is wonderful. She is usually the person I call if I am having any problems. She is also the person that calls to check up on me and make sure I am no dead. Once she takes me back she takes my blood pressure and goes through my medications, ect. 


 Trisha brings me to Dr. B as soon as she is ready for me. Before I go to clinic I fill out an intake form. I rate my pain, sleep, headaches,ect. I also tell them things I want to discuss with Dr. B. Usually my appointment is about an hour. We go through all the things I wan't to discuss. It usually involves things I need to do with other doctors. She always shows me research and things I need to study. She types everything up so I can remember what we talked about and what I need to do. I often have to go get testing done afterward. She always checks up on any medications I need. She even prescribes me IV fluids for when I am really sick. 


The clinic helps me manage my disease. They help me know what medications I need and how to keep my body running. For example: every time I stand up my body fails to account for gravity and my blood pressure drops. In the past it caused me to pass out and have seizures to try to get the blood back up to my head. The clinic has helped me find ways to keep my blood pressure up. I take medication but I also wear tight compression clothes to help keep the blood flow going up. When things are really bad I go get IV's to help and also drink like a gallon of Gatorade everyday. 
Without the clinic nothing would be managed. My life would be a lot harder. Another great thing about the clinic is information. I get educated on my disease and so does my family. My sister had a hard time understanding what was going on with me but then she came to the clinic and now is a regular visitor. She even got blood drawn to help with the research. The clinic is trying to spread awareness about these types of disorders. They help my doctors understand what is happening. 
Basically I love them and feel so indebted to them. All of the people working there are doing it to help people. Trust me, I am sure they could make a lot more money doing something else but they are determined to help. They do help! They make a huge difference in my life and many others.


One thing you can't miss when you go is all the turtles. When I first went they explained their mascot to my mom and me. The turtle stands for "slow and steady wins the race". My life my not be normal but if I do take it one step at a time then I can make it. If I can learn to just walk and take my time then I can finish the race. I love this motto. Most people try to convince me to push it, to not let my disease win and to try and live a normal life. It can't work this way. I have to take time to work with my body, to rest, to figure out how to best operate. I may not be running any marathons but if I do this I can survive and thrive. 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig